How to manage skin with pimples or acne the natural way
Four main factors that cause acne:
- Excess oil production
- Hair follicles clogged by oil and dead skin cells
- Excess activity of a type of hormone (androgens)
Factors that may worsen acne
These factors can trigger or aggravate acne:
Androgens are hormones that increase in boys and girls during puberty and cause the sebaceous glands to enlarge and make more sebum. Hormonal changes related to pregnancy and the use of oral contraceptives also can affect sebum production. If you suspect that hormones may be the cause of your acne, you may want to consult an Integrated Doctor who specialises in the area of Hormone Health or a Naturopath with specific training in Hormones.
Certain medications can make acne worse. Examples include drugs containing corticosteroids, testosterone, lithium, contraceptive pill or contraceptive IUD.
Studies indicate that certain dietary factors, including skim milk and carbohydrate-rich foods — such as bread, bagels and chips — may worsen acne as it increases inflammation in the body.
Stress can make acne worse.
Skin after two weeks of using the Anti-Spot Cream twice a day and a few drops of the Active 8 Serum once a day.
Treatment and ways to manage acne and pimples
1. Our Natural Anti-Spot Cream has Propolis, and Manuka Oil as active ingredients to help assist with skin repair. Supporting skin healing will help to minimise the appearance of scars and help old scars fade.
It also has Zinc Sulphate which decreases sebum production and Vitamin B3, which helps to reduce redness and is important for healthy skin.
(Using this cream regularly is less likely to result in any tolerance or resistance. Regular use of antibiotic creams may work well initially but as the bacteria develops resistance, their effectiveness tends to decrease. Most of these anti-biotic creams are prescribed for 12-16 weeks to reduce the chance of developing resistance).
2. Diet: eat more whole foods, rich in anti-oxidants and less refined carbohydrates. Food and supplements rich in Omega 3, 6 and 9 such as Olive Oil and Fish or Krill Oil help to reduce inflammation.
3. Drink lots of water to flush toxins out of the body. A liver detox supplement with Milk Thistle and Dandelion helps the liver process toxins more effectively and these are eliminated from the body.
4. Supplements such as Vitamin A and Zinc are beneficial for healthy skin as they help regulate sebum production.
5. Lactoferrin, Probiotics and S. Bourlardii helps improve gut health which reduces inflammation.
If you need to see a Naturopath to balance hormones which could be the cause of Acne, Pimples or Rosacea, we highly recommend Victoria Martin. She can provide extra tests and has complete the training on Body Identical Hormones. She is an expert on Adrenal and Gut Health, and see's many patients with auto-immune disorders.
See her article on How to Support and Heal Skin Conditions from the inside-out.
Here are some supplements and lifestyle modifications commonly adopted to help manage symptoms in individuals suffering from...Read more
When the skin barrier is broken, this allows other micro-organisms such as bacteria (Staph. auerus), fungi (Candida...Read more